Are Geckos Poisonous


Geckos are not poisonous. Some people may have an allergic reaction to gecko saliva, but it is not toxic or deadly.

If you’ve ever been stung by a bee, you know that it can be a painful experience. But what if you were stung by a gecko? Would it be just as painful?

As it turns out, geckos are not poisonous. In fact, they don’t even have venom. So if you were to get stung by a gecko, it would probably just feel like a little pinch.

Of course, that’s not to say that geckos can’t bite. They can and they do. But their bites are harmless and won’t cause any serious harm.

So there you have it. Geckos may look scary, but they’re actually harmless creatures. Just don’t try to eat one!

Are Geckos Poisonous

Credit: citybugs.tamu.edu

Are Geckos Poisonous

No, geckos are not poisonous. These little lizards are actually quite harmless to humans. However, they can carry salmonella bacteria on their skin, so it’s important to wash your hands after handling them.

What Kind of Geckos are Poisonous

There are no poisonous geckos. All geckos are harmless to humans.

How Do I Know If a Gecko is Poisonous

There are around 1,500 species of gecko found all over the world and only a handful of those species are poisonous to humans. The most common type of poisonous gecko is the Tokay Gecko which is found in Southeast Asia. These geckos can grow up to 18 inches in length and are easily recognized by their bright orange or red coloration with blue spots.

Although they are not aggressive animals, if they feel threatened they will bite and their bite can be quite painful due to the toxins in their saliva. If you think you have been bitten by a poisonous gecko it is important to seek medical attention immediately as their bites can cause serious swelling, nausea, vomiting and even paralysis. In some cases, people have even died from gecko bites so it is definitely something that should not be taken lightly.

If you live in an area where these types of geckos are found it is always best to be cautious and avoid handling them if possible.

Is It Dangerous to Handle a Poisonous Gecko

There are over 1,500 species of gecko, and only a handful of those are poisonous. The vast majority of geckos are harmless to humans. Of the few that are poisonous, most only pose a threat if they are ingested.

Handling a poisonous gecko is not typically dangerous for humans. The few species of poisonous gecko typically found in the pet trade are the Tokay Gecko (Gekko gekko) and the New Caledonian Giant Gecko (Rhacodactylus leachianus). Both of these species can deliver a painful bite if they feel threatened.

However, their poison is not considered dangerous to humans unless it is ingested. If you do happen to get bitten by one of these geckos, wash the wound thoroughly with soap and water and seek medical attention if necessary. If you’re interested in keeping a gecko as a pet, stick to the many non-poisonous species available.

With proper care, they can make fun and interesting pets for people of all ages!

What Should I Do If I’M Bitten by a Poisonous Gecko

If you are bitten by a poisonous gecko, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. If the bite is on an extremity, try to keep the area elevated to reduce swelling. Apply a cold compress to the area to help with pain and swelling.

If you have any antivenom available, apply it as directed. Seek medical attention even if you do not have antivenom, as the bite may still be serious.

Are Geckos Dangerous? Cute Gecko Facts & More


No, geckos are not poisonous. While some lizards can release toxins from their skin as a defense mechanism, geckos do not have this ability. If you’re worried about being bitten by a gecko, don’t be – their mouths are too small to break human skin.

Related Tags


Emmanuel Orta
Emmanuel Orta

Hi, I am Emmanuel, and I love everything about insects, plants and building terrariums.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *




Recommended articles​



Recommended articles

Shopping Cart